How to Speed up Microsoft Windows 7
Although there are several rumors about increasing the performance of a computer with the Microsoft Windows 7 operating system installed on it, the best way to increase the overall system speed is to decrease the total amount of time that the computer takes while booting.
When Microsoft Windows 7 is installed on a computer, as an end-user you install several third-party and/or Microsoft products as per your personal or business needs. Many times such applications are configured to get initialized automatically during the Windows 7 startup.
Since these programs/processes that are configured to be initialized during system startup gradually increase in number, the overall Windows 7 boot time increases accordingly. As a result, due to the automatic initialization of such applications/processes which also keep running in the background, the operating system continuously processes such entities, hence decreasing the overall system performance.
In layman’s language, in order to increase the overall Windows 7 performance and speed, it is important that you should disable the auto initialization of the unwanted / less used applications. By following the instructions given below, you can keep the unwanted programs from getting initialized automatically during the system startup.
Speeding up Windows 7 Startup
- Log on to the Windows 7 computer with any account that has administrative privileges.
- Click the Start button.
- From the bottom of the Start menu, in the search box, type MSCONFIG and hit Enter key.
- On the opened System Configuration box, go to the Startup tab.
- From the displayed list, uncheck the checkboxes representing the applications/programs that are not mandatory and/or mission-critical for your business or personal needs.
- Once this is done, click OK to save the modifications.
- On the displayed suggestion box, click the Restart button to restart the computer in order to allow the changes to take effect.
Note: All the above mentioned steps can be performed on the normal Windows 7 computer without using any third-party application. However if your budget allows, you can purchase any sophisticated Windows tune-up program such as latest versions of Ashampoo WinOptimizer or Tuneup Utilities. With the help of such applications, tuning up your computer and increasing its performance can be just a mouse click away.